Friday, December 24, 2004

A Day to Set Aside Differences

I've been thinking about this post for some time now, and it will serve as a Christmas Eve and Christmas Day entry (I think we can take one day off here at KAR, right LF?). Anyway, I've been thinking about Christmas and the spirit of the season. At KAR, we take pride in making sport of many on the left side of the political spectrum. There are a select few who are regularly in our cross-hairs, and it is to them that I would like to offer this once-a-year olive branch of a post. I spend so much time disagreeing with those on the left that I sometimes forget they probably just want what's best for this country the same way I do - we just chart different courses to the objective. So in the spirit of the season, I offer these holiday wishes. I mean them sincerely, and just want to remind them that KAR will be after them again once Christmas is over.
To Molly Ivins, whose screeds against the president and Republicans in general can often times peel paint off walls, Merry Christmas. I am sure, in your own weird way, you feel that what you do makes a difference, and that a "world according to Molly" would be a better place to live. Who am I to say? Maybe you're right. I do not think so, but then, I don't have all the answers. Here's hoping that 2005 gives you a few less things to get worked up about, so that I don't have to read your column and get upset.
To Nick Coleman: I know your heart's in the right place guy. I just disagree with the way you recommend going about the social changes you envision, because they usually involve my paycheck. We cannot solve every one of society's problems, no matter how much money we throw at them. I know you just want a better world for everyone. Who doesn't? Here's hoping that the new year will produce a few programs that we can both say is money well spent. Merry Christmas Nick!
To Paul Krugman, who has invited the ire of my colleague LF on more than one occassion, Merry Christmas. You are about one month into a two month sabatical, and I hope you are feeling relaxed and refreshed. We will probably never agree on the best economic policy for this nation, but maybe for this one day, we can remember that life is too short to get so upset that we cannot consider the other side of an argument. Merry Christmas Paul!
And to all KAR readers (that may be 14 regular as of now, I don't know), our fellow bloggers, and anyone else who happens to stumble upon this place in the metropolis that is the internet, Merry Christmas!

No comments: