Tuesday, December 28, 2004

They must handpick them!

Another day, another batch of letters in the Star/Tribune "Letters from Readers" section that seem to parrot the paper's own position on the war in Iraq. In my day to day activities, I am not running into these folks who are so vehemently anti-Bush, and pre-disposed to disagree with him on nearly everything he does. They must exist in large numbers though, because the Minneapolis paper can round up a whole page worth of them every day. Here's one I thought merited comment:

"Betraying a legacy"

"As a World War II combat veteran looking back at year's end, I think it is sadly ironic that the so-called "greatest generation," which is getting ready to leave this world, finds it in such terrible shape.

"The war in Iraq is a deadly mistake, a costly disaster in blood and money. President Bush has failed the "greatest generation" in many ways. He has betrayed what we fought and died for."

Fred W. Booth, Minneapolis.

First of all Mr. Booth, I want to thank you for your service. And do not use the prefix "so-called" to modify the "greatest generation," because many people, myself included, know that it truly is great. The sacrifices of your generation paved the way for the post-war supremacy of this country. But I must take issue with your knee-jerk need to accuse President Bush of "betrayal." I am not sure someone who would use the word in this context even understands its meaning. The president saw a threat in Saddam Hussein and Iraq. He acted on the best intelligence he had at the time, and embarked upon the course of action he thought was necessary to protect and defend this country. He did this with a post-9/11 mindset. To have not acted in the face of the information he had at the time would have been a betrayal to his oath of office, and to the people he is sworn to protect.
Fred's is just one of many letters today that carry the same theme. I get to the point where I think the editorial staff is either making them up or soliciting them from a handful of selected 'op/ed writers' they have on retainer. Then I see the signs of Prospect Park, and I start to think that maybe they are out there, in numbers larger than I realize. More on the signs tomorrow, as promised in an earlier post.

No comments: