Tuesday, January 25, 2005

How to Make Money Blogging

After the Strib published Susan Lenfestey's outrage, and I wrote my little hit piece about it last week, I decided to do a little digging. I found that there may be something out there about Lenfestey that may or may not be suspicious. I also discovered that her husband, James Lenfestey, is a retired editorial writer for the Strib. One mystery solved: we now know how Susan Lenfestey gets her crap published.

That is not the point of this post.

I found that James Lenfestey is now an "author and a poet". This got me to thinking: how do poets make money? The answer occurred to me immediately:

Large government grants.

The National Endowment of the Arts, and the National Endowment of the Humanities throws all kinds of taxpayer money at undeserving twerps like the Lenfesteys every year. I think its time that us bloggers started fatting ourselves at the public trough.

Think about it: blogging is an art and a humanity. Its art lies in the prose, the presentation of the text and the creative use of links. And what greater humanity exists than vigorous public discourse?

Therefore I propose the following:

First, us Minnesota bloggers form a nonprofit corporation with a high-falootin' name like "The National Institute of Chroniclers of Knowledge, Ignorance and Sophistry - Division of Minnesota Bloggers" (or N.I.C.K.I.S.D.U.M.B. for short).

Next we apply for a big juicy grant from the NEA or the NEH.

Once NICKISDUMB has the grant money safely in hand, the proceeds can be used to:
  • Cover blog-related expenses for those bloggers that have them;
  • Purchase beer.

So who's in?


No comments: