Friday, May 20, 2005

Reverse Moron Mail

This ought to make Flash smile.

There are some people that, despite the fact they reside on the same side of the political spectrum, will say something so mind-bendingly stupid; so inanely divorced from rational thought and reality, that it makes me want to approach said person with a megaphone and blare directly into his ear "GET OFF MY SIDE". I'm sure we all remember Jerry Falwell's (I think it was Falwell - please correct me if I'm wrong) remarks following the 9/11 attack - "the attack was God punishing gay people" or some such nonsense.

Today, the Strib prints a letter from young Jeremy. I'm sure the only reason this was printed was because the moonbat letters page editor was sure that the foaming-mouth moonbat lefty letters to the editor machine would chew this up like the red meat that it is:

I am disgusted with the recent letter writers who are happy to pay their taxes since they see them as an investment in their families via government spending.

This liberal, collectivist attitude is why more Minnesotans aren't outraged by the immorality of the income tax.

I am nowhere close to being in the highest income tax bracket, [and if this letter is any indication of your intelligence, you probably never will be -ed.] but I still lament the amount of federal and state income taxes that I must involuntarily surrender with each paycheck.
I do not view these as necessary investments in the community. Individuals should have the right to spend their entire earnings as they see fit rather than having the government spend some of it.


I am in my 20s and upwardly mobile. It disturbs me that as I become more successful and make more money, the government says it's just fine to take an even greater bite out of wealth generated from a service I provide to my employer.

The left-wing attitude is that I should take my medicine and turn over this money since I can more easily afford it. Liberals and the Minnesota DFL promote this never-ending class envy and enact punitive tax laws for those who are most successful in life.

Here's the part that really makes this guy look like a drooler:

Wealth is not a four-letter word, and I should have the unfettered right to spend or invest 100 percent of it at my discretion.

Jeremy XXX, St. Paul.

I.

Should.

Have.

the unfettered.

Right.

To spend or invest...

100 PER CENT.

! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !!

Ay carumba.

Alert readers of the KAR will recognize this as LearnedFoot Pet Peeve #43:

I AM THE ONLY PERSON ON THIS PLANET / F**K EVERYBODY ELSE / MY RIGHTS MY RIGHTS MY RIGHTS / ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

The legitimate role of government is to provide for the general health, safety and welfare of the people. It's in the Constitution. Now, the left and the right way have their differences as to what constitutes the "general welfare" and to what extent the government ought to provide it. But almost all of us can agree that there are some things for which government is essential, and that the private sector is not well suited to provide no matter how much faith one has in free markets: police and fire services, roads, military, provision of some measure subsistence for the destitute so that we don't have people starving to death and rotting in the gutters, etc.

Those things cost money.

The government gets its money through taxation. And traffic fines.

I'd love to see how one would privatize something like public highways. Or the military (I can just see a private military being shut down because of a strike by the Mercenary's Union Local 354 asserting that being forced into areas where they get shot at constitutes an unfair labor practice).

Now it's really nice to worship at the altar of Ayn Rand saying that the "individual trumps all" and not have any form of government at all, and convince yourself that you are being "intellectually honest" by following Rand's philosophy all the way to its end. But those of us that like to use our brains, instead of reading Atlas Shrugged as if it were the Gospel According to Luke, recognize that there must be some sort of balance between that which is good for the individual, and that which benefits society at large. Now, liberals want to tip that balance way over toward the "society" side, while conservatives like to go the other way. But only the biggest drooling moron on either side would obliterate the scale altogether.

Ask the Prince of Darkness Himself (whom I'm sure Jeremy admires). He'll tell you the exact same thing I just did.

No comments: