Thursday, June 30, 2005

I'm Back in the Village Again

The first person to tell me the source of that post header also has my undying admiration.

A big thanks to "the Head" for filling in for me. I know he's a busy body part, so his contributions are much appreciated.

Please forgive me if this post is a little haphazard. I'm a bit distracted trying to catch up on everything I missed. Unlike when I was in Nassau, I didn't burn myself to a crisp on this vacation, so I didn't have any laying-in-bed-writhing-in-agony-and-watching-TV-time.

Anyhoo, I spent the last few days with LittleFoot#1 in lovely Minocqua, Wisconsin. Very cool place. The downtown area is a ten block by ten block island chock full o' shops, restaurants and bars. Nifty aerial picture here. It's a little touristy, but not nearly as bad...er, not nearly as bad as...

OH MY GOD, THEY'RE GOING TO SHUT DOWN THE F**KING STATE GOVERNMENT????!!!!!!!!

Wow! Given the apoplectic reaction by some folks, it appears that the state controls our oxygen supply.

Thank goodness I made it back home before they closed the state! I don't know where I'd go if I got locked out.

Continuing. Lake Minocqua features a host of wonderful watering holes and restaurants that are accessible by boat. For me, this is an important feature that makes the vacationing experience special. There's nothing like hopping into your boat, docking at a bar, getting completely shnockered, an then embarking out into the dusky waters to find the next stop. It gives one the feeling...

WHAT? NOW GEORGE BUSH CAN'T SAY "SEPTEMBER 11th" ANYMORE????!!!!!

OK fine! Why don't we just all agree it never happened. Let's just forget that there is a region of the world stocked with fanatical religious uber-moonbats who kill Americans indiscriminately, that need money and weapons to continue their mission, and who had, until recently, a despot who had loads of both and shared their hatred of the United States.

DO YOU SEE THE "CONNECTION" NOW YOU F**KING IMBECILES?????!!!!

Sorry. Where was I?

Oh, the golf in the Nort' Woods is fabulous. I only managed to eke in one round. Luckily it was at the beautiful links at Timber Ridge. A wonderful course that is challenging yet fair. Having not golfed in almost a year, it took me a little time to rediscover my swing. Once I did, I was SMOKING the ball off the tee (I will refrain from mentioning the rest of my game). I had a number of drives that traveled well over three bills.

The fairways there were impeccably groomed, and the greens rolled consistently and true. Timber Ridge's signature hole is the... the, er... par 3 16th...

OH, YOU HAVE GOT TO BE F**KING KIDDING ME!!!!!!!

Last fall, many members of the Marquette University community said in a university-sponsored survey that they felt Golden Eagles was a boring and all-too-common nickname for the school's athletic teams.

Fast forward to Wednesday. With Warriors out of the question and Gold quickly expunged after an embarrassing public relations and marketing mess last month, Marquette voters went back to the future and put the Golden Eagles back in business.

A nickname that the university admitted last year had failed to generate a strong sense of pride and identity is now the moniker the school intends to use as it begins competition this fall in the Big East Conference.

Oy veh! I need to go back to the lake.

No comments: