Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Infected

When I was a kid, I thought I was immune to the chicken pox. While one by one all my classmates got their week off to scratch themselves to death at home, I was always spared. Then, when I was 14, my little brother got them, and there was no escape.

Likewise, I thought I might be out of the woods regarding this virulent book meme. Alas...

[Shaking fist] DAMN YOU CHAD!!!!!

Total number of books I ever owned:

Thousands. I used to work at a textbook store.

Last book I bought:

Grisham: The King of Torts. Having spent nearly all of the first part of the 21st century reading roughly 2,967,690,744 pages-worth of judicial opinions, I am still catching up on my "fun" reading.

Come to think of it, I don't think I will read another work of non-fiction for the rest of my life.

Last book I read:

Same. What kind of dumb meme is this anyway?

Five books that mean a lot to me:

1) Anthem, Ayn Rand. (Oh look! A wingnut proclaiming a Rand book to be important how original!) Actually this book is great for three reasons:

a. It is so compelling: I read it in high school: checked it out of the library 2nd period, and had it finished by 7th period. This explains my C in College Algebra.

b. It's demonstration of the importance of the individual was, and still is, the greatest indictment of the failures of Soviet-style communism; and it was written before Ms. Rand's editor started to fear her; and it was written before she stretched her philosophy too far wherein the primacy of the individual fell off of the cliff into selfishness. And,

c. It inspired 2 outstanding songs by Rush, including the 25 minute-long progressive rock epic 2112.

2) Dave Barry - Dave Barry Slept Here. The funniest parody ever written. Period. It informs my writing style to this day.

3) The Cliff's Notes to the Great Gatsby. Ensuring that I would never, ever have to read beyond the second chapter of that awful, awful book. (NOTE: I would have included the Cliff's Notes of The Scarlet Letter for the same reason, but I just could not get through it.)

4) Ann Coulter - Slander. One could say that this was the first book that really punched back hard at all those loser moonbats who had been so successful for so long at painting conservatives as unenlightened, backwater drooling rubes. It informs my writing style to this day. (Yes, I am the love child of Dave Barry and Ann Coulter.)

5) Bar-bri Multistate Bar Exam Tome o' Practice Questions. Without which, I doubt I would have passed the bar exam.

Who Gets Annoyed With This Next:

Is there anybody left?

How about Dementee (who actually has already been tagged by Mitch) with the added question: Which book tastes better: Keillor's Homegrown Democrat, or Franken's Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them, or a pile of shit?

And V-Toed Bill, so he has something to write about.

Northern Alliance Wannabe needs some traffic, so I'll bother him too. However, I will let him off the hook if he changes the name of his blog to "KAR Wannabe".

But most importantly: I am really REALLY interested in seeing what the proprietor of this blog has to say.

No comments: