The open discussion of the withdrawal of this nomination is certain to have extensive fallout; up to and including providing me an opportunity to write the unfortunate header to this post. But it also affords the administration a chance to appoint a non-Miers.
I humbly offer myself. To wit:
* I have never met George W Bush.
* I attended a third-tier law school; as opposed to the second tier school at which Miers studied.
* Fortunately, that third tier school I attended was not Hamline.
* I am a Catholic in the mold of Scalia and Roberts.
* I am one of the few people on the planet who understands (or, at least, used to understand) federal antitrust law.
* I frequently use phrases like "to wit".
There's a new poll atop the sidebar. Send a message to Washington. Tell them that you want a