Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Moron Mail

*sigh*

Once more from the top (and please repeat until internalized):

The First Amendment does not insulate me from criticism of my own stupidity.
The First Amendment does not insulate me from criticism of my own stupidity.
The First Amendment does not insulate me from criticism of my own stupidity.
The First Amendment does not insulate me from criticism of my own stupidity.
The First Amendment does not insulate me from criticism of my own stupidity.
The First Amendment does not insulate me from criticism of my own stupidity.
The First Amendment does not insulate me from criticism of my own stupidity.
The First Amendment does not insulate me from criticism of my own stupidity.
The First Amendment does not insulate me from criticism of my own stupidity.
The First Amendment does not insulate me from criticism of my own stupidity.
The First Amendment does not insulate me from criticism of my own stupidity.
The First Amendment does not insulate me from criticism of my own stupidity.
The First Amendment does not insulate me from criticism of my own stupidity.
The First Amendment does not insulate me from criticism of my own stupidity.
The First Amendment does not insulate me from criticism of my own stupidity.
The First Amendment does not insulate me from criticism of my own stupidity.

The Star Tribune was right to denounce Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld for comparing critics of the Bush administration's disastrous war to Nazi "appeasers." Rumsfeld's remarks are contemptible on two counts: They are frankly un-American in their disrespect for our fundamental right to speak freely when the government is wrong, and they trivialize the Nazi evil that culminated in the Holocaust.

A) Then can I conclude, using this same logic, that this letter to the editor is disrespectful of Donald Rumsfeld's fundamental right to speek freely? Or anyone who holds a similar (and BTW, not so outlandish) view?

2) No it doesn't trivialize the Haulocaust. It's called an "apt analogy". In both cases the short term "guarantees" of "peace" foisted on us by those who thought it was perfectly rational to make deals with psychopaths was paid for with a pile of innocent corpses.

Our country was founded on the right to free speech, especially against injustice. This freedom defines who we are as a nation and a democracy. Sadly, Rumsfeld's remarks come as no surprise from an administration that has shown only disdain for our basic right to speak out. Bush's consistent abuse of presidential power and disrespect for our Constitution pose a serious threat to our freedoms.

So when you say "Let's negotiate with them" or "If we leave them alone, they'll leave us alone" it's "free speech," but when one of us says "You are completely ignorant not only to the lessons of history in general but also to the lessons of the history of ths conflict," or even "You're a fucking loony toon!" it's some sort of opressive Constitution-abrogating exercise?

Who knew that the vaunted "marketplace of ideas" was intended by the framers to be a monopoly?

MOONBAT: The sky is plaid.

LEARNEDFOOT: You are an idiot.

MOONBAT: YOU'RE OPPRESSING MY RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH! HELP HELP! I'M BEING REPRESSED!!! COME SEE THE VIOLENCE INHERENT IN THE SYSTEM!!!

I'm sorry. I have to cut this one short. This whole disingenuous and unintentionally ironic trope about how if you actually try to refute some moonbat's argument you are somehow trampling on "free speech" is tired, stupid, intelligence insulting and hackneyed. Let's just skip to the author line:

REP. KEITH ELLISON, MINNEAPOLIS

Oh my.

Isn't he an attorney? Did he miss the class in Con law about state action and so on?

Residents of the 5th district - there's your DFL endorsed nominee. I'm sure he'll do you proud...

Let the angry moonbat postings about how I'm repressing Ellison's free speech rights (and how I'm a bigot, since Ellison is black - a common tactic of he Abject Stupidity-Based Community) begin!

No comments: