Thursday, January 04, 2007

Hello, is anybody home?

I won't be silent.

Numskulls, one and all. That is my preliminary assessment. Although I must admit it is a conclusion I come to unencumbered with any facts to substantiate it.

Apparently Minnesota is going to set a one-year record with 40,000 DWI arrests.

That’s a lot of drunks.

The question now is what to do about it:

For the first time, Minnesota is on a pace to arrest more than 40,000 motorists for impaired driving. Chalk up the tally to better enforcement or cultural apathy. But two decades after the "don't drink and drive" mantra started raising awareness and lowering alcohol-related fatalities, some say it's time to address the problem with new technology.

Who are “some”? MADD, County Attorneys, Judges, etc, etc, etc.

In other words, the same groups that guaranteed an increase in arrests when they fought for and won a resetting of the DWI threshold to .08 Blood Alcohol Content (BAC).

Am I the only one who finds their surprise and consternation disingenuous? Or is it possible they too really don’t see a connection between lowering the BAC limit and the increase in arrests?

Curt Brown (curt.brown@startribune.com) does a lousy job of reporting what the factors are behind the increase in arrests.

I’d like to know how the new record compares to the old.

I’d like to know how many of those arrested had a BAC between.08 and .09999. In other words, how many of the 40,000 would not have been arrested if not for the new law.

I’m not in favor of “drinking and driving”- whatever that means – but I don’t like where these people are going. Would they be indignant if the BAC was reduced to .06 and arrests jumped to 50,000? How about 80,000 at a BAC of .02?

I’d like to know what the endgame is for MADD and their radical anti-alcohol agenda. They’ve morphed from an organization working to eliminate drunk driving to a fringe group that will, I predict, one day seek an all out ban on alcohol – a Volstead act revival.

I’m going home now to have a few cocktails before going to the Wild v. Lightning.

I’ve become quite adept at holding my BAC at a steady .07 for several hours.

No comments: