Monday, March 26, 2007

Moron You Don't Get Out Very Much, Do You? Mail

I am not going to go so far as to call today's correspondent a moron (even though he does speak approvingly of NonMonkey). The drone who decided that this should be the "Letter of the Day," on the other hand...

As a Minneapolis resident with deep roots in St. Paul, I could relate to Nick Coleman's column about the relationship between the cities.

The column was a fun rant about a marketing campaign proposal for the Twin Cities: "Meet Minneapolis." I have a solution. When I moved back to Minnesota from Texas nine years ago, I was so happy I invented a celebratory drink and named it the MinneaPaulitan. Friends have been asking for the recipe ever since.

It strikes me that instead of the too-general "Twin Cities" and rather than choosing either city's name, we could a use a variation of my drink name for the region: MinneaPaulopolis.


Atomizer, get your pencil ready...

MINNEAPAULITAN

• Fill an old-fashioned glass with ice.

• Pour 1 or 2 ounces of Tanqueray (or gin of your choosing).

• Almost fill with diet tonic.

• Add a splash of Rose's lime juice.

• Garnish with lime wedge or lime zest curl (a nod to the green o' the Irish).


MR. BOSTON, MINNEAPOLIS

Er... isn't that basically just a Gin and Tonic?

Here's a recipe more worthy of a Letter of the Day. I call it a "Footini":

FOOTINI

3 or 4 oz. Gin
1 tsp. Dry Vermouth (or to taste)

Shake ingredients in ice and serve in a Footini glass. Garnish with olive or cocktail onion.

No comments: