Because they're not comfortable when they can't micromanage the message. Because their message sucks.
Leftist propaganda mill "Think Progress" -
As long as we're looking at ways to gut the First Amendment, how about we also make it illegal for any leftist think tank, blog or organization to use the word "think" in its name, under the auspices of false advertising?
Anyhoo, "Think" "Progress" points to a "study" that comes to the shocking conclusion that AM radio is dominated by righties:
While progressive talk is making inroads on commercial stations, right-wing talk reigns supreme on America’s airwaves. Some key findings:
– In the spring of 2007, of the 257 news/talk stations owned by the top five commercial station owners, 91 percent of the total weekday talk radio programming was conservative, and only 9 percent was progressive.
– Each weekday, 2,570 hours and 15 minutes of conservative talk are broadcast on these stations compared to 254 hours of progressive talk — 10 times as much conservative talk as progressive talk.
– 76 percent of the news/talk programming in the top 10 radio markets is conservative, while 24 percent is progressive.
Then they include a neat-o graphic for its simpleton readers who have trouble with words like "inroads".
And for the 50,000th time, the "problem" is not that there's actually more demand for Rush Limbaugh than there is for Ed Whatzizface. Oh, no no. The problem is not enough content-non-neutral government regulation:
Two common myths are frequently offered to explain the imbalance of talk radio: 1) the 1987 repeal of the Fairness Doctrine (which required broadcasters to devote airtime to contrasting views), and 2) simple consumer demand. Each of these fails to adequately explain the root cause of the problem. The report explains:
Our conclusion is that the gap between conservative and progressive talk radio is the result of multiple structural problems in the U.S. regulatory system, particularly the complete breakdown of the public trustee concept of broadcast, the elimination of clear public interest requirements for broadcasting, and the relaxation of ownership rules including the requirement of local participation in management. […]
Ultimately, these results suggest that increasing ownership diversity, both in terms of the race/ethnicity and gender of owners, as well as the number of independent local owners, will lead to more diverse programming, more choices for listeners, and more owners who are responsive to their local communities and serve the public interest.
Yes, increase that ownership diversity. Create a bigger pool of station owners trying to land Limbaugh. Rush would love that - it'd drive up his revenue.
Oh, sorry - that was microeconomics, which is the study of reality. These boobs are nowhere near it.
I can think of at least 2 other reasons why conservative talkers routinely eat the lunch lefty ones:
1) Every lefty jock ever offered up to the audience has sucked donkey wiener; and
2) Lefties wishing to to hear the reverberations of their own echo chamber have all kinds of places to get that.
KAR will issue the reports of our "study" on this later in the day.
Nah. Let's just call this our "report," and leave it at that.