Monday, April 14, 2008

Hipster Cred

The first time I ever attended an event at Roy Wilkins Auditorium in St. Paul was in October of 2003. I and about 700 about-to-be lawyers seated in folding chairs on the main floor had our oath administered to us by the Minnesota Supreme Court seated en banc on the Roy's smallish stage. After the swearing in ceremony, refreshments were served and we mingled amongst ourselves and with the Justices of the Court.

The second time I attended an event at the Roy was last Saturday night. My wife and I sat in the balcony and watched babes in short skirts and fishnet stockings skate around in circles while elbowing each other in the face. On the auditorium's smallish stage between bouts was an ELO tribute band wearing enormous fake afros. We drank Pabst, and when I went to the restroom I found myself standing in a puddle of someone's vomit.

I think the roller derby was a better time, and I highly recommend it to anyone who can handle the intense hipster vibe and the ubiquitous odor of patchouli.

One other tangentially related anti-hipster note: Pabst Blue Ribbon is the beer choice of the discerning hipster, because it's "ironic" or something. What's really ironic is that Pabst has undergone a Renaissance of sorts, and - while hipsters drink it to look cool with their trucker hats - it's probably the best tasting of the cheap domestic mass-produced pilsnalager swill beers. Not that they can really taste the beer through the thick patchouli scent or anything...

No comments: