Friday, October 31, 2008

2008 Strib Endorsement Watch Finale: Breakdown - Go Ahead and Give It To Me

Today the Strib weighs in on 2 Minneapolis School referenda. One is not ratable as it has something to do with districting or some such. The other is easily counted because it relates to a tax levy. As everybody knows, tax hikes = DFL.

VOTE YES: "Strong Schools Strong City" referendum (DFL)

This is a $60 million dollar referendum that is meant to replace the $23 million one that expires next year. Which is kind of like replacing your reliable 2003 Ford Taurus with a 2008 Ford Taurus that costs nearly 3 times as much but does the same thing as the old one.

And thus, we have reached the end of our 2008 Odyssey. The Strib, obviously in the tank for the right wing took a sharp turn toward Naziville this year, as is revealed by the final tally:

DFL - 17 (68%)

GOP - 7 (28%)

"Oh look - a shiny object!" - 1 (4%)

Compared to last year (81% DFL), we do see a slight movement to the right by the Portland Avenue Prophets. Or as noted intellectuals like Phoenix Womyn or Grace Kelly might put it: "OMFG THE STRIB IS SO RIGHT WING WITH A BUNCH OF WINGNUTS TAKING ORDERS FROM KARL ROVE AND HALLIBURTON BLEEEEORRRRGH!!1!!!!1!1!!!1!1" However it is instructive to look behind the data a little bit:

1) In 2008, the Strib pooped out 10 fewer ratable endorsements than 2006. Therefore, even a modest increase (in this case, 1) in GOP endorsements will be seen to have a bigger bump percentage-wise.

2) All of the Minnesota state House races the for which the Strib offered endorsement were in suburban districts. Common sense and history tends to tell us that the burbs lean - and many lurch - GOP. Yet the Strib endorsed 9 DFLers to 4 GOPers in these districts. And why no endorsements in the City districts? Think about it. Why wouldn't the MINNEAPOLIS STAR TRIBUNE not look at any MINNEAPOLIS House districts? Curious. Developing....

3) Jim Boyd and Steve "Hertz" Berg are gone, meaning two of the biggest intellectual poseurs (a solid DFL constituency if ever there was one) and most degenerate liberals in the state anywhere had no hand in the endorsements. And that means this Strib Editorial Board is probably more accurately described as "less insane" than "more conservative" .

The Strib Endorsement Watch shall return in 2012 (with a token appearance in '10). Until then, remember: when 68% of your endorsements go to the liberal party, that means you are "in the tank for the right wing" on Planet Leftyblogger.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I simply could not depart your [url=http://www.www.saclongchamppascher-fr.eu/jeremy-scott-pour-longchamp-c-1.html]Jeremy Scott Pour Longchamp[/url] website before suggesting that I actually enjoyed the usual information a person supply for your guests? Longchamp Pliage Grande Mura [url=http://www.www.saclongchamppascher-fr.eu/sac-longchamp-pliage-statue-de-l-c-17.html]Sac Longchamp Pliage Statue[/url] ,Is gonna be back often to investigate cross-check new posts

Anonymous said...

I'll immediately grasp your rss as I can't in finding your e-mail subscription link or
newsletter service. Do you've any? Please let me understand in order that I could subscribe. Thanks.
My site :: 404 Not Found

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I enjoy reading all of your article post.
I wanted to write a little comment to support you.
Feel free to visit my web-site Ingredients

Anonymous said...

We are a gaggle of volunteers and opening a brand new scheme in our community.
Your website provided us with helpful information to work on.
You have performed an impressive process and our entire neighborhood shall be grateful to you.
Here is my web-site ; Web Hosting

Anonymous said...

I think that is among the such a lot vital information
for me. And i'm happy studying your article. But want to commentary on few general things, The web site style is wonderful, the articles is in reality excellent : D. Good activity, cheers
Here is my web site ... ASSI PLAZA

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Ohio! I'm bored to death at work so I decided to browse your site on my iphone during lunch break. I enjoy the knowledge you present here and can't wait to
take a look when I get home. I'm surprised at how quick your blog loaded on my phone .. I'm not even using WIFI,
just 3G .. Anyways, superb site!
Also visit my homepage ; www.alyssamelodyacupuncture.com

Anonymous said...

An intriguing discussion is definitely worth comment. I do think that you
should publish more on this issue, it might not be a taboo subject but generally people don't speak about such topics. To the next! Many thanks!!
Feel free to surf my blog post - divinedestinycareercoaching.com

Anonymous said...

Can you tell us more about this? I'd love to find out more details.
Also visit my webpage ... https://www.rainbowcottoncandy.com

Anonymous said...

Hi, I think your blog might be having browser compatibility issues.
When I look at your blog in Firefox, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping.
I just wanted to give you a quick heads up!

Other then that, awesome blog!
Have a look at my homepage - sanstreet.com.sg

Anonymous said...

obviously like your web-site however you have to take a look at the spelling on quite
a few of your posts. Several of them are rife with spelling problems and I find it very bothersome to tell the reality however I'll certainly come back again.
Also visit my web page ; Vertnet Montreal links page

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love your website.. Great colors & theme.
Did you create this amazing site yourself?
Please reply back as I'm planning to create my very own blog and would like to learn where you got this from or just what the theme is named. Many thanks!
Also visit my weblog Houston

Anonymous said...

Hurrah! Finally I got a website from where I be capable
of actually take useful data concerning my study and knowledge.
Look at my web-site Kauai Beach Wedding

Anonymous said...

Fabulous, what a blog it is! This web site provides valuable data to us, keep it up.
My blog : Used Cubicles

Anonymous said...

Excellent site you have got here.. It's difficult to find high quality writing like yours nowadays. I truly appreciate people like you! Take care!!
Feel free to visit my site http://papillex.com