Wednesday, November 05, 2008

America Shows It's "O" Face

Please bear with me. I drank an awful lot of wine last night (a nice Castle Rock Cabernet, if you must know; a 2006 Napa, which was surprisingly good given that many of the California Cabernets I've tasted from the 2006 vintage have ranged from underwhelming to awful), and then I spent the better part of the evening trying to get Mrs. Foot to let me do to her what our New Democrat Overlords will be doing to us for the next two years. I'm tired and have a short attention span right now. Therefore, it's best not to look at this post as an essay, but rather a series of semi-related rants that may go off on some weird tangents. (Like that parenthetical about the wine above, for example. Oh look! A shiny thing!)

While the results last night pretty much bore out what we already knew from polls and other predictive evidence, there's still this thin film of cognitive dissonance that tugs at me. It's not Obama's win. I get that. Of all the presidential candidates the Dems have thrown up over the past couple of decades, Obama is the one that by far has made my skin crawl the least. His followers supporters creep me out so much more (Dancing in the streets because of an election result? How banana republicish.) I'm obviously not alone in that assessment. No, my problem is with the stupidity of the national Congressional results.

Let me get this straight: according to the exit polls reported on the various nets last night, we are to believe that the economy was the single most important factor for voters. Yet the voters saw fit to increase the majority of the party (and reelect two of the main culprits) who caused the damn problem in the first place.

Oh no, Foot. You're wrong. It was Bush's disastrous economic policies that caused the economic-

Oh really? Which policies were those?

Er...uh..

Can't name one can you?

He refused to regulate -

Bullshit:

The Bush administration today recommended the most significant regulatory overhaul in the housing finance industry since the savings and loan crisis a decade ago.

Under the plan, disclosed at a Congressional hearing today, a new agency would be created within the Treasury Department to assume supervision of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the government-sponsored companies that are the two largest players in the mortgage lending industry.

The new agency would have the authority, which now rests with Congress, to set one of the two capital-reserve requirements for the companies. It would exercise authority over any new lines of business. And it would determine whether the two are adequately managing the risks of their ballooning portfolios.

That was back in 2003. It was blocked by the Democrats, many of whom were reelected last night. It should also be noted that part of the strategy (which continues to this day when anyone dares mention the facts) they employed to stymie this regulatory scheme was to play the race card.

You may have noticed that the card has significantly decreased in value over the past 24 hours.

You're making me cry.

Good. Now go fuck off.

So yeah, there's that. And then there was the network coverage...

Watching NBC's Ann Currie is the television journalism equivalent of gargling Scorned Woman hot sauce when you have a mouth full of canker sores. Last night she was she played the role of NBC's Poll Goddess. At one point early in the coverage she actually said the following (paraphrased from memory):

X voters in [Indiana I think] reported that race played a factor in their presidential vote. But the interesting thing here is that of those voters, Y per cent voted for Barack Obama anyway.

"Anyway"?

Think about it Ann. Try not to hurt yourself.

And then there's Al Franken. Seriously, WTF? How that jackass could get enough votes to necessitate a recount baffles me a little and embarrasses me for Minnesota a lot.

There. End rant.

For those leftybloggers out there trolling for a little schadenfreude, that's all I got. Sorry. He is my president. He was elected, not selected. Somewhere in south Chicago there isn't a village missing an idiot. My happiness is not dictated by who's in office. I'm still an adult, and you're still a spittle-chucking rage-addicted child. What Nihilist said.

What was I saying again? Oh yeah: stay outta my booze!

No comments: