Monday, February 23, 2009

The Devil's in the Detailing

Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast, for it is a human number. Its number is six hundred and sixty six.

The following is true.

This morning, I was alone in my car. My mind was blank. Just driving to work so I could make some bank. A stubby little truck from some auto salvage company ambled down the road in front of me. Specifically, the truck was owned by "aaa Auto Salvage." At the time I thought nothing of it other than how it was odd that the company's logo would use lower-case letters for its name.

At the first opportunity, I passed the slowly lumbering rig without much thought and even less effort. My puzzlement over the the salvage company's word mark forgotten as trifling and wholly uninteresting. After a fashion I glanced at my rear-view mirror as is my practice as a safe driver in all aspects of that activity other than obeying posted speed limits.

And what did I see? Could I believe? Those three lower case letters (also stenciled on the "mom's attic" jutting out over the cab's roof) staring back at me.

Backwards.

Those 3 lower-case a's as viewed in the mirror's reflection looked quite different, and certainly more sinister as I beheld them:

666 - the number of the beast.

I did a double-take and looked at the mirror again to make sure that what I was seeing was real and not just fantasy. And there it was:

666 - the number of the beast.

Just what I saw in that old mirror - were they reflections of my warped mind staring back at me? Spooked, I thought to myself - "is this real or just some kind of hell"? Those three letters seemed to mesmerize, like Bill's exquisite pies:

666 - the number of the beast.

In any event, I eventually turned off onto another street while the Demon Truck continued straight ahead in on its infernal path; possibly going on to run over puppies or something. It occurred to me that maybe I should inform the Law. But that would have been a silly waste of time.

Still, the whole thing might make a pretty sweet metal song. We could call it "Devil Went Down to Eagan" or something like that.

No comments: